The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay
Urban Fantasy Book Club
The Better Part of Darkness Book Club Questions
- What do you think of the first person narration?
- What do you think of Charlie?
- What do you think of Hank her partner?
- One of the first scenes is Charlie finding her daughter’s friend and babysitter unresponsive in the school bathroom? What did you think of the scene?
- What do you think of Emma, Charlie’s 11 year old daughter? How does the existence of a child make this different from many of the books we read?
- What do you think of the introduction of this urban fantasy world?
- What do you think of Charlie’s sister, Bryn?
- Why do you think that the author staged Charlie’s death and resurrection before the beginning of the first book?
- Does it sometimes feel like you fell into the middle of a series in this, the first book?
- What do you think of an urban fantasy based on parallel planes of existence, Elysia and Charbydon?
- What do you think of the otherworlders who are called goblins, imps, sirens, etc. rather than vampires, werewolves and shapeshifters?
- What do you think of Charlie’s first fight scene against the jinn when she kills two barehanded?
- What do you think of Charlie’s ex-husband, Will?
- When you read ex-husband, did you expect him to beg her to come back to him?
- What do you think of black crafting as an addiction like drugs? Does it remind you of Willow’s addiction to magic?
- What do you think of the Bath House? Does Charlie’s discomfort make sense?
- Do you sometimes find the politics in this book a little distracting from the story?
- What do you think of Titus Mott?
- What do you think of Charlie’s twin, Connor dying because she blocked him out? How does that guilt shape her character?
- Does this book have first book syndrome of too much information which will be important later?
- Does it feel like Charlie gets beat up a lot?
- Would you want DNA from Elysia and Charbydon to save your life?
- Do you understand why this freaked Charlie out?
- Did you expect Will to sell his soul to get Charlie back and then die really fast?
- What do you think of Rex, the Reverent who got Will’s body?
- How does Emma being kidnaped change the book?
- Does it feel like all the good guys get hurt badly like Hank having his voice blocked and Bryn being dosed with Ash?
- Would you possibly sacrifice the world to save your child?
- Would you want a hellhound as a pet?
- After going completely renegade to save her child did you expect Charlie to be kicked into a special unit?
- What do you think of Charlie helping to cause Atlanta to be dark?
- What do you think of the ending?
Created by Michelle Haring