The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
Fantasy Book Club
The Bear and the Nightingale Discussion Questions
- What do you think of the 3rd person narration?
- Does this book seem like a Russian fairy tale?
- Is it odd that the daughter of a czar would be married off to a boyar in the frozen north?
- What do you think of Vasilisa’s birth?
- The names of the same characters change, this is culturally accurate but how does it affect the reader?
- What do you think of Pytor?
- What do you think of Anna?
- Do domovoi remind you of house elves from Potter?
- What do you think of the time jump?
- Do you trust the priest Konstantin?
- What do you think of the setting of the book?
- Should Vasya have allowed the rusalka to take the priest?
- Is it a woman’s future to be caged in Vasya’s world?
- Should Vasya have allowed her nephew to die for her intended’s pride?
- Is Vasya a witch?
- What do you think of Morozko, Frost, the winter demon?
- Who is your favorite character?
- Who are the villains of the story?
- Did you expect the confrontation to cost someone their life?
- What do you think of Vasya’s plan at the end?
- Should any of the characters have been redeemed?
- Did you like the book?
- Would you read the 2nd book?
Created by Michelle Haring