Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan MacGuire
Fantasy Book Club
Sparrow Hill Road Discussion Questions
- What do you think of the Prologue which is a description of the hitchhiking ghost?
- Had you heard the urban legend of the hitchhiking ghost before this book?
- What do you think of the mainly first person narration?
- Do you prefer linear narration or nonlinear like this book?
- Is 1973 the right place to start this book or should it start with Rose’s death?
- Is Rose’s meeting with Larry the trucker that she helps pass a good way to start the story?
- Our first meeting with Rose, she helps Larry pass and the second meeting she saves a little girl, do you feel like you are seeing different sides of the same character?
- Do you like Rose?
- What do you think of her friend Emma, the banshee?
- Does it feel like the author loves folklore and urban legends?
- Would Rose feel comfortable interacting with Dean and Sam and Supernatural?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Do you think they would be reliable narrators?
- Are the ghost stories in this book sad?
- Does it seem like there are a lot of different types of ghosts in this story?
- Should ghosts be able to kill the living like the strigoi who takes the diner hostage?
- Are Tommy and Laura a love story?
- Does it seem odd that she spent half her life hunting the ghost she blames for his death?
- Were you surprised that the cheerleaders were Valkyries and they blessed Rose’s hunt for Bobby Cross?
- Is Bobby Cross a good big bad?
- What do you think of Bethany, Rose’s great niece?
- What do you think of Rose’s interaction with the ghost hunters?
- Did Rose’s killing of the highway seem odd?
- How did Rose going to see Gary as he was dying make you feel?
- Were Gary’s thoughts a good addition to the book?
- Did you expect Gary to turn into a ghost car for Rose?
- Does this book have a happy ending?
- Did you like the book?
Created by Michelle Haring