Fer De Lance by Rex Stout
Mystery Book Club
Fer De Lance Discussion Questions
- What do you think of the 1st person narration?
- If your book has an introduction by Loren D. Estleman, does it add to the book?
- Estleman states that in 46 books, Archie and Nero don’t change, for those of you who have read more than this book, do you agree?
- Is the 1st person narrator, Archie Goodwin the hero or is Nero Wolfe?
- In the case of the missing Carlo Maffei, Wolfe doesn’t seem interested until his sister Maria offers to pay, how does this shape your perceptions of Wolfe?
- This book was first published in 1934, does it feel like a product of its time?
- Wolfe questions Anna who overheard a telephone call for five hours, does that seem excessive?
- What do you think of O’Grady when he meets Nero Wolfe?
- Why do you think Nero Wolfe tried a ten thousand dollar bet about how Peter Barstow was killed?
- Wolfe refuses to see Anderson to illustrate his own eccentricity, what do you think?
- What do you think of Miss Barstow showing up at Wolfe’s to ask him to ignore her mother’s $50,000 reward offer?
- Wolfe offers to give the information to Miss Sarah Barstow if the killer is who she fears, is this ethical?
- Is poison on a dart embedded in a golf club a good murder weapon?
- Do you like Nero Wolfe?
- Were you surprised that Peter Barstow was an accidental murder victim?
- What do you think of Kimball as a man that was murdered but still living?
- Kimball describes how he killed his wife and her lover but nothing happened to him, what do you think?
- What do you think of his description of Manuel, his possible son?
- Did you expect the snake to be in the drawer?
- What do you think of the coincidences that led to Carlo Maffei’s death?
- Should Wolfe have forced Anderson to pay him?
- Why do you think Wolfe set up E.D. Kimball?
- Did you like the book?
- Would you read more in the series?
Created by Michelle Haring