Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
Teen Book Club
Dread Nation Discussion Questions
- What do you think of the 1st person narration?
- “The day I came squealing and squalling into the world was the first time someone tried to kill me.” What do you think of this first sentence?
- How does the Prologue contribute to the story?
- Do you like the letters from Jane to her mother which start the chapters?
- What do you think of the job of an Attendant?
- Do the descriptions of the combat school and training make you feel like you are there?
- What do you think of Jane?
- What do you think of Katherine?
- On page 21, Jane mentions that the headmistress acts like reading is dangerous, is it?
- What do you think of Jane’s memory of Zeke’s death?
- Why do you think Red Jack calls Jane Janey and Jane calls Katherine Kate?
- Are the shamblers the real villains?
- What do you think of the missing Spencer’s mystery?
- Would you want Jane’s penny?
- How does the book evoke a sense of dread?
- Who is getting sent to Summerland worse for?
- Who is your favorite character?
- Who is the worst person in the book?
- What do you think of shamblers as a power source?
- Did you expect Katherine to save Jane?
- Were you surprised that Red Jack was still alive?
- Is a pretty face a weapon?
- What do you think of the battle with the shamblers?
- Were you surprised by the reveal about Jane’s mom?
- What do you think of the ending?
- Did you like the book?
- Do you want to read more?
Created by Michelle Haring