Jinn and Juice by Nicole Peeler
Urban Fantasy Book Club
Jinn and Juice Discussion Questions
- What do you think of the 1st person narration?
- The first scene introduces us to Lyla trying to hold off a glamoured human, what do you think of this opening?
- What do you think of Lyla?
- Who is your favorite character?
- Would you want to visit the club Purgatory?
- What do you think of the description of Lyla’s act?
- Would you want to see it?
- What do you think of her relationship with her Fire?
- Would you want to have Fire?
- Was the Magi binding Lyla scene well done?
- Does the author describe Pittsburgh well?
- Does this book make you want to visit Pittsburgh?
- Does the idea of Pittsburgh messing up magic because of all of the steel seem plausible?
- What do you think of Oz, a half Turkish half Irish Magi?
- Afghanistan and the humanitarian crisis there is woven into the book, how does this work?
- Is it interesting that the main female character is nearly 1,000 years old?
- What do you think of her views on history?
- Lyla tells her friends that Jinni are like the fey in that they spend most of their time trying to avoid doing what their Masters want, does this seem like it would what they would do?
- Is a bugbear an interesting villain?
- Does Peeler use too many pop culture allusions or is it just right?
- Is Oz being unreasonable by not agreeing to free Lyla when they explain the curse?
- Did the scene of Charlie being an Oracle and seeing seem realistic in that seeing should be painful and creepy?
- How interesting does a speakeasy gay bar called the Man Hole sound?
- Is the fact that Oz is her Master enough of a conflict for Lyla to fight her feelings for him?
- What do you think of Sideways?
- Did it take a while for Lyla to notice the double cross in spite of her foreshadowing it, especially Tamina’s attitude?
- Was letting Oz initiate Tamina a good idea for a distraction?
- Is Oz right to want to wait until Lyla is not bound to him to be intimate?
- Is Kourous a good big bad?
- Is freeing the big bad so you can kill him ever a good idea in any supernatural book, movie or tv show?
- Is the Kourous/Lyla fight scene a good one?
- Did you expect Lyla to break the curse and become human?
- How much did Kourous death curse suck?
- How cool is the idea that Charlie has multiple libraries that he has stashed in Sideways?
- Did you like the book?
- Will you read more in the series?
Created by Michelle Haring