I am now on Goodreads as Michellecupboardmaker. If you are on Goodreads, you can ask to be my friend and see exactly what I am reading.
Hi, As the owner of a used bookstore, people often ask me what I am reading. I read a little bit of everything but my current favorite types of books are genre fiction but they are a combination of several genres. I like the term supernatural fiction for my current reading choices but many of the authors actually call it urban fantasy.
The following is a list of several authors that are my current favorites. This list is in no particular order and when applicable I have included links to the author’s webpages. I will include more accolades when I have the time, but I am supposed to be researching the books for the Internet right now. However, thinking about my current favorites and checking when their latest books are arriving is more interesting.
I created this page because I constantly recommend that my customers buy these authors. These books are very rarely traded in at my bookstore and I tell people that they should read them. I will be making this page more informative and attractive as I have the time.
- Kelley Armstrong
- Her Women of Otherworld Series creates an alternate reality that is close to our own. Her world includes: werewolves, vampires, ghosts, necromancers, witches and half demons. The characters are strong and fascinating and the plots are well-developed. I enjoy the fact that she alternates narrators in the different books but keeps the reader up to date on the actions of the other characters in the series.
- Patricia Briggs
- The Mercedes Thompson Series. The main character is a werecoyote raised by werewolves but she interacts with many different types of otherworldly beings.
- Jim Butcher
- Harry Dresden. Harry is a wizard who is more of a supernatural private detective. The books have a noir fantasy feel and are set in Chicago of the modern world. However, very few people know that magic, vampires, and shifters are real.
- Jeri Smith-Ready
- Her vampire series focuses on a vampire radio station. This series is very innovative and interesting. She also writes fantasy novels that are also great.
- Maria V. Snyder
- Her books are closer to traditional fantasy than urban fantasy. The world that she creates is fascinating and her protagonist is amazing. Usually, I am a little too lazy to learn about different worlds which are part of the fantasy genre but this world is so fully realized that I want to learn more.
- Anne Bishop
- Her Others series is a fantasy take on Urban Fantasy with vampires and werewolves that are a completely different species than humans. The characters are memorable and well written.
- Ilona Andrews
- The Kate Daniels series revolves around a magic user in post magical apocalypse Atlanta. Throughout the series, the characters evolve and have fabulous adventures.
- Nancy Atherton
- The Aunt Dimity Books
- Victoria Thompson
- These are historical mysteries and the research is wonderful and the author’s sense of place is excellent.
- Janet Evanovich
- Stephanie Plum Series
- Nevada Barr
- Anna Pigeon Series
- Margaret Maron
- Deborah Knott Series
- Toni McGee Causey
- Bobby Faye Series
- Misty Simon
- Tallie Graver series
Some my favorite romance authors live in Central Pennsylvania and they come to the store for book signings which is so much fun. I keep their books in stock all year long. These are in alphabetical order.