Black and Violet by Jason Andrew Updike
Urban Fantasy Book Club
Black and Violet Book Club Questions
1. What do you think of the third person narration?
2. What do you think of the Prologue letter?
3. Do you like Baron Vorst, why or why not?
4. What do you think of the introduction to the difference between Islanders and Continentals?
5. What do you think of Lord Tihmon Ransom?
6. What do you think of your first view of Seble Ransom?
7. Do you think it should be through Vorst’s racist eyes?
8. What do think of Vorst’s death scene?
9. Is his dream a good introduction to Intendant Jacob Guimard?
10. What do you think of Lord Philip Drake?
11. What do you think of the idea of assassins as a form of social control?
12. What do you think of Lady Ellen?
13. Do you think it would be hard to be Seble, caught between two worlds?
14. What do you think of Adjudicant Eli Brook?
15. What do you think of seeing a crime scene as a piece of artwork?
16. Do you think that discussion of assassins methods are good for dinner parties?
17. Was this a good introduction to Violet Dawn?
18. Do the murders of Thami Ngulu, the apothecary the Tannen, the livery owner make sense?
19. What do you think of the poison, Amber Tear?
20. What do you think of the fight between Guimard and Brook?
21. Did Eli and Seble seem to fall in love rather quickly?
22. What do you think of passing the name of the assassin and the skills down through time?
23. Did you think Seble was the new Violet Dawn?
24. Did you expect Eli to die?
25. Did you realize the Giumard’s mother was Violet Dawn before Ellen?
26. Did it surprise you that Philip was the guiding force of the assassinations?
27. Was Wisteria being the assassin in training a surprise?
28. What do you think of Guimard being a kick ass warrior? Did you see that coming?
29. What did you think of the Guimard killing Lord Philip Drake?
30. How long do you think Guimard can fight the poison?
31. What did you think of the ending?
Created by Michelle Haring