Blood and Iron (The Book of the Black Earth #1) by Jon Sprunk
Urban Fantasy Book Club
Blood and Iron Book Club Questions
- What do you think of the 3rd person narration?
- How do you feel about Horace?
- Do you feel like you are experiencing the shipwreck with Horace?
- Horace is dropped into a world where he cannot speak the language after the shipwreck, what do you think of this as a way to learn about the world with him?
- What do you think of Jirom?
- Compare and contrast Horace and Jirom at the beginning of the book?
- What do you think of the world?
- Does the world remind you of any place in the history of our world, especially Akeshia?
- Do you want to know exactly what happened to Horace’s family when he first starts to flashback to them?
- What do you think of slavery in Akeshia?
- What do you think of Horace discovering he is a magician by stopping the storm?
- Is it more interesting that he had no idea that he had magic or zoana before the storm?
- Is it hard to know which characters to trust in the book?
- What do you think of Alyra?
- How is your opinion of her shaped by the fact that we find out she is a spy as soon as we meet her?
- How is it disconcerting to follow Horace’s changes in circumstances in captivity?
- How do you feel about Queen Byleth?
- Do you feel like Horace that you need to pick sides without having all of the information?
- Does the training of soldiers in Akeshia seem wasteful?
- Who is your favorite character?
- What do you think of Astaptah?
- Is the flying ship cool?
- Did you expect the ship to crash?
- Did you expect the fight with the Kurgarru and was it super creepy?
- Did you expect Horace to walk away at the end of the duel rather than killing his defeated opponent?
- What do you think of solitary confinement without death forever as a punishment?
- Should Horace have followed Rimesh after he saved Byleth?
- Do you like it that Alyra saved Horace from Rimesh?
- What do you think of Mulcihar’s final letter to Horace?
- Did the Epilogue set up the next book nicely?
- Did you like the book?
- Do you want to read more in the series?
Created by Michelle Haring